Tuesday, January 27, 2009

January 27, 2009: Today...

After 12 days in Cyprus I'd hoped to have a few phrases of Greek, but it's not going very well. The real estate agent who drove us around to several places today was very nice and the first Cypriot to be willing to try to teach me some Greek, so I can now count to five, say that I have five children, pronounce corner store as well as "Pepsi" halfway-correctly (pi is not "pie", it's more like "bee", except that the consonant sound is something in between English "p" and "b"), and almost say "car". She was very patient with me as I read signs as we were driving around, correcting my pronounciation and translating, but I'm afraid that I don't remember much except for what I just listed, and where the accent on "pharmacy" falls...

No, we haven't found a house or apartment yet. We would like the house we saw on Saturday, in the location of the apartment we saw today, with the garden of the first house we saw today, and with the rent of the one on the other side of town...

I was asked what we did with our car and apartment in Germany: the car we sold back to the dealer (we'd bought it just over two years ago, about a year old at the time, but we'd driven as many kilometers as would be normal for a car at least twice it's age, so nobody else was willing to buy it...), the apartment is still on the market and has been since September. The very first people to even look at it were scheduled to come the day after we left Germany, and since we haven't heard anything from the real estate agent, we take it that they weren't interested.

The rest of what I just wrote got rather too long, so I took it out and will post it separately...

No comments:

Post a Comment